The word "renaissance" is a French word which means "rebirth." It is used to describe a time period, of innovation and transformation in art, literature, philosophy, economy, as wells as a transformation in political and social ideology.
2007 and 2008 has seen a great push for change:
1. Seeing both a Women and a Man of African American decent as presidential candidates.
2. San Francisco's Legalization of Same-Sex Marriages.
3. A national call for change and a political campaign that pushes for a national solidarity with the slogan "Yes We Can."
4. A recession.
5. Another devastating stock market crash that effects the world market.
6. A very progressive charter school opened in Southern California that teaches using a number of alternative educational systems, from Montessori to Applied Scholastic. (which are similar in many ways)
7. There has been a resurgence of Female M.Cs, showing the need for positive female icons that an American public is actively searching out.
8. A record breaking High School Drop out rate.
I'm sure there is more but here are a few to say the least.
San Francisco is one of the few places in the world that embraces Leftist thought and activism.
I call it Frisco because I have a Love, Hate relationship with this city. Born in SF, it is my roots. But I have fought against myself to remember that there is a greater world than just 7x7 miles of progressive thought and life. We have ghettos, a large working- class, a small upper class, and a low ranking education system.
So in this space with it's progressive ideology, drowning youth culture, and a time of a national call for change and reform after a devastating 2 terms of the Bush Administation a we have come to a junction. A time of rebirth, if you will... a Frisco Renaissance.