Saturday, November 22, 2008

Half Blood Prince

I can't wait! The new Harry Potter movie is on it's way... Every year my cousins and I would go watch some epic movie... We watched Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and hopefully next year we'll watch Harry Potter Muahahaha! =)

So let me explain why I love Harry Potter sooooo much! First let me give a big ups to the talented JK Rowling for creating this epic tale, a struggling single mother, Rowling was able to break down the aspects of life and create not only a reality for her children but a fictional reality for other children and adults to escape into. Not to mention that she finished each book in a timely fashion even if there were a few delays she got it done and didn't disappoint me.

I started reading this series in boarding school when I was 16. By then she was already 3 or 4 books into the series. My best friend at the boarding school was one Miss Christi Novak (RIP 2005) and this is how she got me hooked:

Harry has always an outcast for as long as he could remember, his parents died as protectors of the world that they loved and died protecting their child. Unfortunately their untimely end left Harry all alone in the world, except for his Aunt (sisters mom), Uncle and cousin, who treated him like a slave and abused him mentally, telling him that his parents died in a car crash, in an attempt to keep his magic life a secret from him. They mistreated him because they feared him and what he may become. (Very similar to many Greek and Roman Myths where the parents fear the strength of their own child and lock them away or vanquish them.)

Harry's always felt that he wasn't "normal" (I can relate) and on his 11th birthday his true calling in revealed. (To bad life doesn't make it that easy to find your true calling) He then begins to builds his own family, comprised of a best friend who is poor but rich in virtue and down to experience the world with him. A home girl who is born from no magical parents and is treated like a secondary citizen amongst those of purely magical backgrounds, but is the star student. This motley crew have their disagreements but they are always down for each other at the end of the day. Not to mention the wisdom and Mystery that you find in Dumbledor, the Weasley's, and the rest of the eclectic cast of characters. And and this story... you see Voldemorts story begin to unfold...and similar to Elpheba in the story "Wicked" good and evil is relative to experience and self.

The story's characters are resilient. JK Rowling pulls no punches as you experience the anxiety of adolescents, the pain of growth, the angst of teenage love and the responsibility Harry has with his life purpose that was prophesized before his birth. Daymn I can't wait for the movie...even though I read all the books already and know what's going to happen...Seeing the story play out on the big screen is still cracken! Especially, since the director and production staff do such an amazing job recreating JK Rowlings world.

2 comments:

TROUBLMan said...

I've never read the books or watched any of the movies all the way through, but you make me want to read them. I just talked with a friend about my not reading enough fiction. Shit, I can't remember the last time I read fiction. What's the best way to introduce myself to the Harry Potter world?

Nina Parks said...

Fiction is wonderful... The way eye see it is that they are human dreams recorded for our insight into topics that need to be looked at with universal objectivity, it is an escape into a dream world where your imagination can get some exercise.

It's great to have a balance of fiction and non fiction every thing in moderation... right?

Start with the first book, the movies are great but the books are where you get a greater understanding of who the characters really are, like all books that were made into movies there is a great deal of character development that has been left out of the movie.