Friday, November 07, 2008

Now is the time!

I am proud to say that in my life time I was witness to history in the United States, as we all know November 4 was major win for black brown and mixed people in our nation. But what's next?

The fact is, just because Obama is the president elect, it doesn't mean it's changed the state of our nation, there is still so much more to do. This is only the beginning, Obama and his campaign has succeeded in spreading the word and the idea of change and hope on a mass level, but he is still only one man. We can not count on him to make things happen for us, we as a community have to be the Obama's in our perspective hoods.

Now is the time. The old smith saying "Strike while the iron is hot," means more to me now than it ever has.

NOW IS THE TIME! It's time make moves towards the change that we want to see in our communities and with in ourselves.

When I was a youngster I had mad issues, and honestly now that I look back from the perspective of a youth service provider, it's a common Urban story, now 6 years into my legal adult hood, I'm starting to truly see the importance of having a strong foundation as a youth, from family, to school, to peer groups . The importance of self value, and respect on all levels... and perspective... The importance of discipline, diligence, love, comprehension and critical reasoning skills, and name credibility. NOW MORE THAN EVER... at least to myself it counts.

I'm bull-headed and stubborn and prideful... so many things in life I've had learned the hard way and in one way or another it has left scars reminding me that I have to work twice as hard than most to apply those life lessons to my own life.

As a child I didn't understand fully... born into a relationship deteriorating in conflict, and negative energy allowed it to become familiar to me. I gravitated towards others with similar energy (mostly kids from broken homes like myself dabbling in delinquent behavior and getting toasted daily ), although many of those relationships were also unhealthy it was some how comforting to know that I wasn't the only one struggling. It wasn't until I was 15 years old that I became aware of greater struggles.

Oppression, suppression, personal digression, class status, California's prision industial industry; it wasn't until my 23rd year until I began to comprehend the factors that brought my family to the Bay Area, both of my parents came here... as many others have, looking for a greater opportunity than what they had, and I am here for that same reason... aren't I?

I used to bitch and complain at how I was dealt a shitty hand, as time passes I see those things that I had to work twice as hard to achieve are now my strengths. And only hope of progress along with some amazing individuals that did what they could even when they really didn't have to do anything, got me through those times when I thought that I wasn't going to be able to make it thru...

As Maya Angelou said:

Alone, all alone Nobody, but nobody Can make it out here alone.
Those who didn't help me taught me how to help myself, and those who went out of their way to assist me have my respect forever. So now is my time to give that back. Seeing Barack's campaign and his ability to brush off his shoulders when Mccain's campaign did what they could to slander his name, was inspirational. Barack was insulted on a very public level... but you never saw him react like, " Fuck that mutha fucka, Imma get his ass back." or " Fuck that dude Imma beat his ass." Naw you saw him take it in stride kept his eyes on his prize and stick to the issues. That's strength and will power.

So now is the time to Barack yourself... step up and Obama your hoods! I'll do my best... and believe me it's an every day struggle to "KILL THEM WITH CLASS."

1 comment:

TROUBLMan said...

That's a great way to look at it--"we as a community have to be the Obama's in our perspective hoods." What inspires me most are all the other inspired people I see, especially young people. All the young people are giving this country the energy it needs.

I've reflected on my childhood a lot lately. I've realized all my hardships are my strengths. They give me perspective. Think about how many things in our childhood lead to this moment. Think of how crack, hip-hop music, gangs, the cold war, revolutions, natural disasters, disease and genocides have created this moment.

Now is time that we accept our turn to lead America.